EXPLORATIONS OF THE SEXUAL SELF & IDENTITY
8774 Yates Drive, Suite 305A
Westminster, CO 80031
See dates below
Co-facilitated by Melissa Walker & Alicia Patterson
Sexuality is a vast landscape. This dynamic class series explores the edges found in the sexual self, facilitating an awakening of awareness around these edges, the arousal or revulsion found there, and offers a language to begin to articulate the non-verbal and sometimes pre-verbal language of these edges. We will explore BDSM / Kink, sexual archetypes that are embodied over the lifespan, the psychological impact of edge-walking, followed by a supervision group to support those in the helping professions to apply this knowledge to their work with clients. These areas will be explored through dialogue, discussion and experiential facilitation (clothed) to explore the non-verbal realm. This class will challenge all your assumptions about these edge-walking spaces, whether you are exploring for your personal journey, your professional journey, or *hopefully* BOTH!
SEXUAL ARCHETYPES: JANUARY 18, 6 pm – 9 pm
- This class will explore the dimensions of expressiveness, dominance / submission, virgin (self to self sexuality), partnered (self to other sexuality), Gender fluid / exploration, generativity / creation, grief / shadow
- Exploration of modern archetypes and how they serve as mirrors and inspiration
BDSM & KINK: FEBRUARY 15, 6 pm – 9 pm
- What is BDSM / Kink?
- The nervous system & kink
- Risk aware & consensual BDSM & Kink
- Communication and self-inquiry
- Navigating trauma / Re-traumatization in kink / BDSM
PSYCHOLOGICAL EFFECTS & DEVELOPMENT: MARCH 15, 6 pm – 9 pm
- Sexual development over the life span
- Kinesphere & expression awareness
- Ancestral lineage tracking
- Belief systems about sexuality and development
- Polyamory / non-monogamy / evolutionary sexual development lens
GROUP SUPERVISION OPPORTUNITY FOCUSING IN SOMATIC PSYCHOTHERAPY & SEXUALITY: APRIL 19, 6 pm – 9 pm
- This week is for therapists in training and therapists working in the field
- This is an opportunity to get a lens on body based & sexuality centered supervision
- this is a chance to bring concerns about working with sexuality, identity, transference & counter-transference in the therapeutic relationship in a nonjudgmental environment with two educated professionals who have experience working with sexuality and alternative relationships and lifestyles
- When : Dates listed above : January 18 , February 15 , March 15 , April 19 , all Thursday evenings
- Time : 6 pm – 9 pm with one short break
- Where : Private practice office in Westminster
- Fee : $55 Professionals / $35 Students per class or $150 Professionals / $90 Students for all 3
- Supervision Group: $75
NOTES TO BE AWARE OF:
- This is a series of classes / groups on different topics followed by a supervision group (the supervision group is the April date).
- The supervision group will be for therapists in training or working in the field.
- Each class can be joined independently or the series can be completed as a whole (all 3 if you’re not a therapist in the field, or all 4 if you are a therapist in training or working in the field)
** These groups will be capped due to space size. Please inquire if cost is an issue.
Melissa Walker, MA, LPC, R-DMT, Director for the Embodied Relationships Counseling Center, is a Body-Centered sex and relationship therapist. She is currently working toward her Sex Therapist certification and is adjunct faculty in the Graduate School of Psychology at Naropa University. Melissa combines somatic psychotherapy with sexology in her Concentric Sex Therapy model.
Alicia Patterson, MA, LPC, R-DMT, CYT is a Somatic Psychotherapist, trained in Dance Movement therapy and Body Psychotherapy. She has been working with groups and movement for 7 years and thrives on the group field. She sees private clients in Boulder & Golden. Alicia is trained as a birth doula and believes working in the realm of pregnancy, birth, death, sexuality and intimacy to be inter-related and some of the deepest and richest territory that can be explored in the self.
Concentric Sex Therapy:
A Body-Centered Sex Therapy Training for Students and Professionals
Saturday, April (exact date TBA), 9:30 am -5:30 pm
8774 Yates Drive, 305A
Westminster, CO 80031
Concentric Sex Therapy is a confluence of body-centered, contemplative, person-centered, and sexology theories. This model harnesses the client’s actualizing tendency, a tendency towards growth and complexity, toward a fully embodied experience and expression of the sexual self. This model includes Erotic Mindfulness, full-body arousal anatomy with a whole-person approach to the human sexual response, and embodied expressivity toward one’s personal erotic potential and healthy relational sexuality.
This weekend training provides an opportunity for professional growth in the following areas:
- Participants will explore personal as well as professional edges and challenges in regard to sexual behavior and beliefs;
- Learn the fundamentals of Concentric Sex Therapy and how this body-centered sexological model supports work with individuals, couples, and groups;
- Understand how the body and mindfulness practice can support the therapeutic process and be a place for transformation and resource;
- Learn the Human Sexual Response through a body-centered and holistic lens;
- Understand erotic transference and countertransference in the therapy room and how to integrate them into the therapeutic process.
*This model does not include touch.
$375 Professionals & $275 Students